How do you feel about Touhou nowadays?

Sir I

Ever since TheOVJM made a video about touhou in a decline (seeing the last part.), I have this strained relationship with it and to the point I am not interested in it. So how do you feel about it now? 

My feelings with touhou still haven't changed. I will always enjoy listening to the music, seeing more of the characters and talking to people about it.

Even though I'm not a fan of gacha games, I think touhou will eventually get more of them. There are a lot of people discovering touhou through games like LostWord, but I don't think that's entirely a bad thing. I've met some who started with lostword but genuinely became interested in the series.

There will always be people who spend ridiculous amounts to get the 'best' units purely for stats and nothing else. However, I'm seeing more care about the music and all the characters which is amazing!

Edited by Isaac
  • Like 4

Bro I will die a Touhou fan, there are a few works that inspire the heck out of me and the greater Touhou community is one of them. Hours and hours of incredible music, both official and fanmade, same with games in a myriad of styles. I might not always intensely celebrate it because I might be distracted with something else, but I'll definitely always love Touhou. ( I still hate Tsukasa though >:C )

I will say I do come across a fair bit of discourse in the community as well which definitely makes me sad, but I hope someday everyone can simply get along.

• Like 5

"I'm still trying to find the whereabouts of the heart,

now I have to find the bustling marketplace too? What the heck Zun?"

2069208610_ChimataEyes.png.e5c4f93eec188519fc7cb80192af2301.png

I'm in complete agreement with my two compadres above, although I'm a bit miffed at Parsee for giving me the itch to buy more stuff on Buyee again - at least 300,000 yen's worth this time around (just got the 3rd consolidated box sent this morning in fact, and there's still some stuff left over for a 4th). At least I'm not spending it on overpriced units, am I right, just overpriced fumos instead. (#^_^#)

Heh, seriously though, Touhou has to be the last bright spot in my life. I'm really not certain what would have happened to me if I hadn't discovered it because I was very close to calling it a day when I hit 40. In all honesty, I do not particularly care what some guy on YouTube thinks about the series since that is his take, not mine. There's always something to bring a smile to my face, plus the music simply instills the most emotion I have ever experienced from a series. Oh, that's before I even mention the fact the fangames are among the best I've ever played, and I've been a gamer for a very long time, believe me. (*_*)

Edited by SasaMisa
Word substitution.
  • Like 6

1665302947_LancerDoll.png.f3d1d67b8a45698f0a8a0ea85f46d0fc.png As the Dollmaker herself would agree: Lancer Doll is best doll! (#^_^#)

I like the newer games, I've enjoyed how creative the recent gimmicks have been and they still offer a nice challenge, although I'm a bit annoyed with how newer characters just never make more than one appearance in the mainline games anymore (why was ten desires the last mainline game to feature a recurring character from a game made after MoF?). I haven't watched the decline of Touhou video since I don't have the attention span never got around to it, but I don't really agree with the idea that the series has been going downhill since HSiFS specifically. If anything, I think DDC was the real low point, since it was what established the trend towards games being entirely self-contained, it just looks like more of a problem recently since we haven't had any spinoffs made to carry the post-LoLK cast yet. Annoyingly, I don't think there's much of a chance that this trend will go away, but with the series tending to emphasize fun and creative gameplay gimmicks more ever since HSiFS (ability cards are pure perfection and you will not change my mind on this), I'm decently optimistic when it comes to future releases, even if they probably won't have what I'm looking for the most.

• Like 2
  • Up 2

the sudden surge of exposure to different audiences in the recent years had me thinking how long the community would stay the way it is right now/<2018. I really appreciated and enjoyed my time in the community back then, and felt comfortable interacting alongside people with similar interests, unfortunately that feeling has been beginning to slip away from me, but nevertheless I am still in fact very much into  touhou content 
sorry 4 bad english
also a lot of crazy stuff happening this year

Edited by HeliumStapler
  • Like 1
  • Up 1

I still love Touhou. Touhou, for me, has always been a source of joy. A few months ago, I was feeling pretty scared and anxious about, idk, something I guess, and Touhou managed to calm me down and improve my mood several times. Touhou music in general makes me feel relaxed, and even playing the games sometimes relaxes me if im playing stages 1 through 3. Ever since I first saw Touhou in 2016 it was always fun to explore about it. And yeah, I do think it is on a decline a bit (although I adore UM), but I'll still love the series no matter what.
I love the games, the characters, music, lore.
It all just makes me so happy.

• Like 4

Number 1 Alice, Meiling and Youmu fan! jaooooooooo

Hello! I've been missing for a few days due to exams, but now I have a few free days back at home. What can I say on the topic? Well, I have been into Touhou for 1 and a half years already, and I don't feel tired of it. I always manage to find something interesting, no matter if it is official or fan-made. 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:52 PM, Cosmic said:

I haven't watched the decline of Touhou video since I don't have the attention span never got around to it,

If you are interested on the topic of that video from TheOVJM, I actually have an entire thread in which I analyzed that entire video and came up with some comments in regards to the more important points. You are always welcome to join if curious. 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:52 PM, Cosmic said:

If anything, I think DDC was the real low point, since it was what established the trend towards games being entirely self-contained

Honestly, I do not really know what to say about DDC. From I know and have seen, that game doesn't look so bad, and has some interesting characters (after all, Raiko is in my Top 10). But I guess I can see why people would dislike it due to changing the established "pace" of the previous games and how they were causally connected (MoF->SA->UFO->TD). In w away though, it reminds me of the first/classic Windows era, with each of the games being self-contained, although at the time ZUN had a clear vision about finishing the series with Touhou 8. 

2 hours ago, HeliumStapler said:

the sudden surge of exposure to different audiences in the recent years had me thinking how long the community would stay the way it is right now/<2018.

I would honestly like to know for how long have you been part of the community? It is always nice to talk to people who have been part of it for a long while, especially as a relatively newcomer. Through what means was the Touhou community different back then? Like what was the level of discussion in the community, what were people thinking of both official and fanon materials, and through what ways have thigs changed if you compare 2022 Touhou fandom with its 2018 counterpart? If you are curious, here is an example of discussion from 9 years ago (found it thanks to our friend @Gou the frog

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1
  • Up 1

spacer.png

2 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

If you are interested on the topic of that video from TheOVJM, I actually have an entire thread in which I analyzed that entire video and came up with some comments in regards to the more important points. You are always welcome to join if curious. 

Oh sure, I'll give it a look. Thanks for letting me know that exists :)

2 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

But I guess I can see why people would dislike it due to changing the established "pace" of the previous games and how they were causally connected (MoF->SA->UFO->TD). In w away though, it reminds me of the first/classic Windows era, with each of the games being self-contained, although at the time ZUN had a clear vision about finishing the series with Touhou 8. 

Fair point, but it's not even so much the overarching storylines I miss as much as it is the existence of recurring characters. The classic Windows games all had self-contained stories, sure, but characters that were introduced in that era would usually continue to pop up in later games; obviously not all of them would, but if you liked a character, there was a chance they'd be in future mainline instalments, which with the post-MoF cast doesn't feel like a possibility anymore. I don't mind that DDC brought back self-contained stories, although I did like what 10-13 did, but I do have a problem with how it got rid of the concept of characters coming back altogether. It's not even that I dislike the game itself, I think Raiko and Seija are both great characters and it's a pretty fun game to play, I just don't like what it did for the series as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Up 1

17 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Fair point, but it's not even so much the overarching storylines I miss as much as it is the existence of recurring characters. The classic Windows games all had self-contained stories, sure, but characters that were introduced in that era would usually continue to pop up in later games; obviously not all of them would, but if you liked a character, there was a chance they'd be in future mainline instalments, which with the post-MoF cast doesn't feel like a possibility anymore. I don't mind that DDC brought back self-contained stories, although I did like what 10-13 did, but I do have a problem with how it got rid of the concept of characters coming back altogether. It's not even that I dislike the game itself, I think Raiko and Seija are both great characters and it's a pretty fun game to play, I just don't like what it did for the series as a whole.

Yes, that is am absolutely correct point. I really feel like most of the characters from Touhou 14 onwards have been sort of misused, and barely got any screen time outside the debut game. Some would excuse Touhou 17 and 18 for example as being "still new games" and that we need to give them time. However, I miss any form of getting these characters a bit more attention. For me, the easies way to integrate as many of them as possible would be either a third Gensokyo Chronicle encyclopedia (Symposium of Post-mysticism stops at Touhou 13, and from there one we have had no such book; if you gonna mention Who's Who of Youkai and Humans in Gensokyo, the Everlasting edition came up in 2020, and that is pretty much it in terms of many characters from DDC onwards) or a new Bohemian Archive/Alternative Facts in Eastern Utopia articles book to continue (I think that one stopped at LoLK if I remember correctly). 

Spoiler

Well, at least Sannyo has recently appeared in one of the ongoing manga, so that could be a beginning...

• Like 1
  • Up 2

spacer.png

my relationship with touhou has been on and off over the years, i discovered it in my teens back in 2016 through a border of life arrangement(used in a certain infamous asgore fan animation) and from there the music proceeded to define my tastes. i would have stretches where i would either be super into it, or only having it on the back of my mind, only recently really getting into the games and the community as a whole. and i have to say, even if it seems that the community aspect here in the west isnt as strong anymore, and if content, both fanmade and official is slowing down, i still love this series to death, and cant wait to finally experience the rest of why people love it so much, and where it goes in the future. i cant agree with every choice zun makes with the series, but it has remained and probaabl will remain one of my favorite media franchises of all time. i dont plan on leaving any time soon.

• Like 3