RT8: [NOT] the Last Remix Tournament

Ken Hisuag

First thing I got to say is damn we have a lot of participants this time. Alright, I'm ready!

The Young Descendant of Tepes

Already opening with a banger, I'm loving the driving power in this, and is that a bit of whimsicalness I can hear subtly in the background? At first I thought it was a flute, but now I'm pretty sure it's a piano. Between the power guitar, the groovy beep-boop organ and a hint of calmer instruments, I'm reminded a lot of Fight On from FF7, and that's certainly not a bad thing (seriously, does this not sound a bit it in places?). The break and change of tone at 1 minute is unexpected, but nice. The first time they switched the tone like that I thought it was good, but later on, is sort of just feels like the chords changed to something they weren't exactly going for? But you know it still sounds good. Oh, by the way it may have taken me way to long to notice it was Remilia's stage theme and not her boss theme lol, but it's a plus to hear her stage theme arranged for once.

Random sidenote: the bats look so happy.

7/10

Mugen no guradeishon

RANDOM STACK VOCALS GO!! Obligatory Stack feature is obligatory.

Well... yep, this is Stack alright. The arrangement of Immemorial Marketeers is pretty banging, I particularly like that break bit at 2.20, very experimental sounds at that point, followed by Stack almost becoming an opera singer lol. I also like Stack's more melodic singing during the lower energy sections, gotta slow down and appreciate calm Stack a bit. Overall not the most creative Akatsuki Records song I've ever heard although there were some sections I liked quite a lot. Pretty gooood, I'll go with 6/10.

Cinnamon, Cinnamon!!

It's time to S W I N G !

Straight from the beginning, the bass in this is top tier. I also like that slightly gritty filter her voice is going through at the beginning, sounds cool but doesn't overstay its welcome. And speaking of the vocalist, damn the way she rolls her R's!

Suddenly J-ASMR, sure why not.

I really like that background Xylophone(? assumed), it sets a sort of playful but confident tone, and then of course you've got that trumpet for added force on the main chorus, goes really well with the singing and helps create this kind of sassy attitude in the song. I will say that this is one of those songs where I can't really hear the original inspiration, but hey at least there's that one sections which is obviously Wonderful Heaven.

Anyway, this is certified groovy and has lots of personality. 8/10.

Only the first round and I'm already having a lot of fun reading everyone else's comments. Am I the last to rate this round? Ah, I think we're still waiting for Von's ratings (no pressure).

10 hours ago, Gou the frog said:

506485737_Screenshot(99)-modified.png.75a025092fb6a1f4ed3b591d3f7ec8ea.png

(This happens once in every three years right? but with newcomers excluding Shionne.)

Heh, reminds me of the time there was a posting spree in a thread with several people online at once. I've only ever seen that once. (It was in musical discoveries, of course)

• Like 1
  • Up 2

Just as I had an exam today. I will try come back later with an actual reply (might actually just turn this reply into the comment once I write the review. Honestly, just for the sake of being unbiased, I will probably not rate Infinite Gradation (or maybe I should? Just for the sake of it as a song) 

• Up 2

spacer.png

13 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

just for the sake of being unbiased, I will probably not rate Infinite Gradation (or maybe I should? Just for the sake of it as a song) 

It has been generally agreed in the past that participants are not required to review/rate their own submissions, and said ratings will not effect the final tally. It is entirely your choice either to do so or not, as you prefer.

Personally, I appreciate seeing people express what they enjoy about their choices; there are entire genres of music I might never have found an appreciation for if not for others sharing their interest (for example, most forms of heavy electronic music, courtesy of Shionne), and I often learn as much and more from reading other reviews as I do from listening to the piece itself.

• Like 5
  • Up 1

TTT

Alright, normally I really suck at reviewing music, as my music knowledge is close to none. However, I will try say some words of any kind, more or less off-topic (sorry that) about each. 

The Young Descendant of Tepes

Regularly, I really am not interested in Remilia Scarlet (or most of the EoSD cast in general) and her theme. In spite of that, this one remix actually sounded very cool. From the first seconds of guitar instrumental, my head started popping up and down like on one of those little collectible figurine things with huge heads, and was vibing with the thing. I like instrumental arrangements, and in general anything that has rock in it.  Plus, this might be the first fan arrangement of the song I am listening to, so I guess it made me a good impression. 

Overall, an 8/10

Cinnamon, Cinnamon!!

Alright, if the previous song had me popping my head, this time I actually wanted to dance. I am not very familiar with Swing type music, but any song of the kind is absolutely welcome. I am also not familiar with the music circle or the vocalist who performed the song, but I think it was very pretty, and I enjoyed every single moment out of it. Even from the very beginning, you get a feeling this will be some sort of fancy, more elegant song, which is something I like. Buskerdog was pointing out a voice filter being used at the beginning of the song. Now, at a second listening, I have noticed it indeed, and it's indeed something short, and not overdone. This might probably be my favorite song of the round, and I may have found a group that got my curiosity for more. 

PS: that Tenshi art used for the video is looking quite pretty. 

I only wished I knew Japanese to understand the lyrics, but that does not take out from the beauty of the song. 9/10

Infinite Gradation/Mugen no guradeishon

Initially, I was going not to review this entry as it was pretty much my own pick for the event, but then I decided to turn it more into a "why I picked the song" kind of review. For quite a while, this is the song from Akatsuki Records I kept humming the most in past months (probably as much as Coooonsultant!), mostly since I found the song catchy. Another thing that convinced me to pick it was a bit of character factor. Besides fanart, Chimata does not seem to be getting so much fan content, especially for a Stage 6 boss. As a whole, I think this song might be the first Chimata theme arrangement I see from ant music group, and so got quite hyped for it. I have considered other options for the Akatsuki Records spot in my picks (pretty much a mandatory choice for me), among those being Grey Zone, Bhavacakra, HANIPAGANDA, Azure Raindrops (cover version), KARMANATIONS or even the new (old) Flandre song PV, but in the end I went with this one. As for the song itself, I pretty much think it is one of the bette songs of the album. Coooonsultant! starts strong with the namesake song and DIG IT DIG OUT, but for the rest, it sort of falls flat at points, with some songs being, dare to say, forgettable. Just as I though I was going to think it will end up boring, there came Infinite Gradation to close the album, which was a pleasant surprise.

I will just probably give it a 7-8/10

Overall, this seems to have been a fun round. I liked the songs a lot, and might be slowly falling in love with Cinnamon, Cinaamon!!

• Like 2

spacer.png

On to round two!

4: Rolling Contact - Lunatic Vengeance
Familiar territory (for some).

Spoiler

5: Ottori - Myon Rag Fever
Back into the swing of things.

Spoiler

6: Composer for The Mystery of Gensokyo - Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World
Unfamiliar territory (for others).

Spoiler

• Thanks 1
  • Up 1

TTT

Lunatic Vengeance

I'm not on the best terms with Rolling Contact's music, but I thought that this remix incorporated Pure Furies fairly well. As usual I'm not a fan of so much voice samples, but I like the sections that are more so just focused on the tune of Pure Furies. I genuinely think there's a lot of interesting instrumentation in this and although I said I don't like samples it's also not the worst use of them I've ever heard. The part in the middle, about 2:20, is probably the highlight for me. It could be better, but I've heard much more disappointing songs before. 5/10.

Myon Rag Fever

A simple but effective combination of instruments that create quite a character. Cute, bouncy rhythm curtesy of piano and c o w b e l l. The guitar is tuned quite oddly and sounds quite similar to something in the original Mystic Temple, it contrasts a lot with the instruments around it and makes an effective lead instrument. The best part is when it slows down and then is followed by the main melody picking up the pace again for an exciting finale; all the changes in speed in this and the quirky rhythms make for a very endearing song! Too bad it's only 2 minutes, but then again, maybe that's what gives it it's charm?

The definition of "short but sweet", have a 7/10.

Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World

This struck me as very ghostly sounding, yet upbeat. It's kind of reminiscent of something from Ghostly Field Club, isn't it? I like the changes of rhythm made to the main melody, and the percussion is pretty funky too. Combined with the instrumentation it makes for something energetic, yet otherworldly. I can tell this is game OST, and while I can't speak about the nature of the game in question, this reminds me a bit of the soundtracks from the Mario and Luigi RPG games. Unfortunately the only problem with it is that the music loop is a bit rough.

I rather like this, have a respectable 6/10.

• Like 2
  • Up 1

4. Rolling Contact - Lunatic Vengeance

I'm just gonna say electronic music is very hit or miss with me. And this is... more of a miss. I'll echo busker's on the 2:20 part, that's about it for me. In this case it feels like I've heard this song before and the problem is I haven't, though that could in part me not being privy to the nuances of the genres. Despite everything, I always found the sounds of those mishmashes of synths interesting and this is no exception. Think the voice samples are a bit overplayed but eh it didn't bother me too much.

4/10

5. Ottori - Myon Rag Fever

Oh this is very nice, a cutesy arrange befitting of the yoom. I thought that guitar was a rhodes for a hot second there. Honestly I like the slower parts here more than the lively energetic ones. The more mellow piano sound is also a nice fit, as well as those subtle violin hits though I feel there could've been just a little bit more done with that instrument. The whole thing does sound a little bit uhh rough but I think that actually adds to the piece instead of detracting, you know gives it life in a way. But while it wraps up nicely I do feel that the song could've gone on for just a little longer.

6.5/10 More Cowbell

6. Composer for The Mystery of Gensokyo - Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World

Man I remember this, played this game ages ago... but anyways. The original is one I find myself forgetting about most of the time, but this rendition appeals to me a bit more. It keeps the mysterious vibe from the base track while doing its own thing, and the synths, rhythm and some of the percussion in the later part gives it this sort of "mechanical" sound to me. Which is not something I'd associate the original with but y'know, interesting I like it. I could say that it's very obviously BGM but hey, it's not meant to be more than that.

6/10

• Like 1
  • Up 1

everything is just peachy tonsh.gif.0b4075faabf61d7265e5c3fea342964f.gif

Next round then:-

4) I must be one of the few who doesn't think Pure Furies is all that (please don't ban me!). Add to that a genre of music I'm not particularly fond of and we aren't doing too well overall. Even so, as buskerdog & Tenkko have already rightly stated, the instrumental parts are nice and if the entire tune were of the same calibre minus those distracting samples, I undoubtedly would have liked it more. (T_T)

4/10

5) You know, Touhou manages to do something no other series has ever managed to do... get me to appreciate both the piano and the violin. I mean, the former sadly always made me think of school and all the god-awful songs & hymns we were made to sing; the latter, the terrible way the Americans butcher the sound you get from the instrument. This tune here though, invokes none of that, and being Youmu, I'm kind of obligated to like it since she is my 3rd favourite character (love that image as well). Do agree also about the length, in that it being a tad longer wouldn't have done this piece any harm. (=^_^=)

7/10

6) Gensokyo no Nazo has so many great tunes - indeed, I ended up playing the game on account of Cirno's bubbly little track when I first heard it on YouTube - but for me, this is the absolute best one. Yep, it's the second of my submissions, although like CountVonNumenor above, I'm going to go into precisely why I like it so much here. (^_^)

I've been a fan of chip tunes as far back as the Atari Console in the very early 80s, so they will always be my preference over everything else. For sure, hearing Monty on the Run on the Commodore 64 for the first time in 1985 forever converted me to the point where I listened to very little else in the years that followed, through the various home computers, consoles and even the arcade coin-ops. I also have a tendency to prefer very moody or melancholic pieces too, dirges as my mum often used to call them; the sort of thing you'd hear in any number of RPG or adventure games. Therefore, the slower tempo, remixed theme for Keine's section of the game instantly struck a chord with me. I believe Sakuya has a very similar dark and mysterious theme as well come to think of it, but I like this one quite a bit more if I'm honest about it. (#^_^#)

9/10

Edited by SasaMisa
Adding some text.
  • Like 1

1665302947_LancerDoll.png.f3d1d67b8a45698f0a8a0ea85f46d0fc.png As the Dollmaker herself would agree: Lancer Doll is best doll! (#^_^#)

1. This one follows pure furies surprisingly well for a Amane track and it's also really unique, harsh sounds, lot of samples and also harsh syncs make this track hard to approach unless someone is well into the genre (but once you sink in you really do appreciate how good it is)
9.5/10

2. Quite interesting piano piece to say at least it follows original well while also adding something from itself, it's quite short though which isn't bad but lefts me with some thoughts it could be a little bit longer
7/10

3. for a while i thought that it's gensou shoujo taisen ost but it seems like i got it wrong, this one is just a mediocre of the original song though i don't really feel anything towards it maybe aside appreciation for like aforementioned ghost-ish sounding
5/10

• Up 1

this a hard round

1. Rolling Contact - Lunatic Vengeance
For some reason i quite liking this, the Touhou also surprisingly thick for Amane in this one.
sadly there's just a bit too many samples for my liking, and some of those sudden breaks feels a bit forced in.

7/10 yeah seems ok

2.Ottori Sound Works - Myon Rag Fever
Ohshit ragtime
uh.. the instrument choice is kinda buggin me.
while everything else is nice,
the brass?guitar? sounds clipped and rough, i guess they were trying to get a retro feel but yeah no.
the cowbell is definitely the savior in this one.

7/10

3. Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World
that percussion is definitely something, probably the star of this track
the mixing and stuff is pretty nice, everything sounds neat, it doesn't feel too complicated while maintaining the upbeat feel.

also 7/10 idk why they all the same rating
they all aint bad but also not great

• Like 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Alright, time to give my score for this round:

1. Rolling Contact - Lunatic Vengeance

So... a Pure Furies remix. As much as I like Junko and her original theme (and some of the remixes too), I feel this one was a little too out of my own taste. The only points in the song that actually made me thing of the origina were quite short, and all those random sound clips and unrelated voice lines inserted...what was that? Is this like an actual music genre? It is just so weird. Also, I am not familiar with the music circle, so I do not have any idea what else they are producing. Well, at least that little bit I said it actually sounded like Pure Furies was decent, and a slight redeeming factor. 

I am sorry for having so harsh with this one - 4.5/10

2.Ottori Sound Works - Myon Rag Fever

This one was quite cute. Simple, yet does its job. Interesting combination of instruments. Just like everyone else noticed, it felt a little on the sort side though - probably the shortest Touhou arrangement I have ever listened to. But I guess it is better to have something short, but enjoyable than something that feels too long. Also that Youmu art used for the clip fits the carefree tone of the song very well. 

I'll rate it 7/10

3. Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World

I am not familiar with the game this has come from (or is associated with). However, it does give you that vibe of retro game, which I appreciate. I really do not know what else to say about it, so I will keep things short. 

Final grade: 8/10

Edited by CountVonNumenor
Accidentally posted an unfinished reply
  • Up 1

spacer.png

4: Rolling Contact - Lunatic Vengeance:

1. Not bad not bad at all, really like the electro feels, I haven't seen any in a while. (I was exposed to Mike's theme first) Now, the intro and end has massive weight behind 'em like the original. Very refreshing to listen as this does feel very unique from your average joe remix. Voice Samples, Goosebumps triggering instrumentals and syncs with said samples. (If only it had a natural flow, I would rate higher)

Overall, I give it a fair 7/10

5: Ottori - Myon Rag Fever:

2. I was starting to feel rustic piano from the beginning but all of these instruments blends together and makes me feel like I owned a ranch in a steampunk era while adventures set upon. And there's this dreamy feel with cowbells accompanying only to sound a bit modernish.(Need to enhance the piano slightly also, why not more cowbells) 

Alright, this's 7.5/10 

6: Composer for The Mystery of Gensokyo - Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World

Sounds upbeat and wait a game ost? I'll take the percussion everyday. Although, the loop felt cut off sure, it left a mysterious impression.

Aye, let me give this a 7/10

I'm the last to comment also, why is my rating almost the same as each other? (Like DrunkenFlower's) Oh well, now Ken can start the third round.       

• Like 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

ROUND 3:

7: dBu Music - Unhuman Variations
A borrowed feature.

Spoiler

8: Komeji Records - Youmu at the End
The original feature.

Spoiler

9: ZYTOKINE - The Illness Approaching You - Edelritter Remix
An additional feature.

Spoiler

• Thanks 1
  • Up 1

TTT

7: dBu Music - Unhuman Variations:

Why did I chose this? Short Answer: It's because it sounded like megaman.

Long Answer: This particular remix made me ride a stream of roller-coaster of emotions. The transitions jumping back and forth to retro, too traditional, and folk? The instruments changes every so often with each minute the weigh behind this arrangement deepens. (Pardon my inability to deduce what instruments were used) To me, they don't feel forced thus, flows really well. The taiko finish at the end really seals the deal and Mamizou theme being one of my favorite really shines in this tournament. At 4:00 things started heating up; this one doesn't pull punches. 

AYE! Brilliant 8.5/10

8: Komeji Records - Youmu at the End:

This truly came out of a movie the build up, the roar, the marching drums. It's one of the finest pieces I've heard this weekend. Wait, is that Rain? The ambience really shine at the quarter part of the arrangement; the rain really add and the drums came back once more for one final push. Lads, this right here is the endgame accompanied by percussions, a trumpet to aid the majestic feeling. My Blood has been boiled once more as the unusuality was brought to joy by the somber music box. 

Yin and Yang truly strike once more leaving it a fair 9.5.

9: ZYTOKINE - The Illness Approaching You - Edelritter Remix:

Well, now this is a remix indeed but yeah, I needed to rest my ears. Everything else is nice; tempo is like an energetic monkey. (I'm sick at this moment aye, I've nothing in my mind to add)

Very much a surprise 7.5/10

Edited by Gou the frog
Achieved the lowest entry rating.
  • Like 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

placeholder post as of now~

1. Mamizou theme is a nice one but this doesn't feel like it stray too far from original which is kinda a shame, it really got a feeling like it's ost from some fangame but that's usually how dBu tracks sounds
overall it's okay-ish some diversity or original ideas would be nice though
6/10

2. now this is interesting, a long orchestral track which allows to go through a journey while listening to it, instrumentation is pretty solid and it got a few interesting themes too i especially like 5:38 sakura part and 6:06

8/10

3. now this is epic, this beat is just amazing and i wish ZYTOKINE would make more song like this (even though it's remixed by guest artist) but overall there's no single bad part in the song, builds up are just straight epic along with Yurica's voice it mixes genres nice even with some dubstep parts at 2:33 also desire drive is really really good theme in my eyes too so that's a nice bonus, overall it's just amazing and i can't get enough of it

10/10

also

18 hours ago, Gou the frog said:

It appears that I was hit with "Oops, we couldn’t find that track." on my side so, that's a bit awkward.

seems like soundcloud had a stroke for some reason so i'd advise wait some time and try again (it worked fine for me a while ago)

Edit: it's back

Edited by Shionne Imeris
  • Thinking 1
  • Thanks 1

7. dBu Music - Unhuman Variations

Never really got into dBu mostly because I don't like how they handle mixes most of the time, but this is kinda nice. There's that cute chiptune intro that then becomes the base for the whole song and it kinda reminds me of Megaman, probably because of the "toms". A bunch of other instruments are introduced later on and it all just works really well. I just like the cheery, playful vibe it goes for, that kind of arrangement fits Mamizou really well. I think it drags a little for what it is but hey the little solo near the end is not bad.

7/10

8. Komeji Records - Youmu at the End

Oh the "epic orchestral". Well as far as the arrange goes it's alright, it fits the bill. There's some nice ambience in some parts, otherwise pretty straightforward. My problem with these kinds of arrangements is that they can sound really, really stiff and flat, because programming MIDI orchestration is not that simple. And that's what happens here sadly. I mean the MIDI orchestra sound does have a certain charm as well but I don't think that comes through here and it, kinda ruins the whole thing for me.

4/10

9. ZYTOKINE - The Illness Approaching You - Edelritter Remix

Well the intro got me interested, and I love whatever the fuck's going on at 0:55. The slower section that begins right after that is also really nice. Then you lose me for a minute. That whole part with the really harsh sound sounds cool but... not a fan. One thing overall is it just, starts and stops very often? Kinda breaks the whole flow of the song for me, while the latter half (3:00) sounds more coherent. Speaking of that last part, really good, keeps the energy going til the end. Again maybe I'm listening to this with the wrong ears but they're the ones I have.

6/10

Edited by Tenkko
  • Up 1

Unhuman Variations

This started out as chiptune with some non-chiptine subtly hidden in there, but before long it turned out that actually this piece was not intending to be subtle about its instrumental diversity at all. The unique mixture of instruments makes for something very novel, and the piece has this rising intensity throughout it, yet somehow manages to keep everything coherent. I wish it did deviate from the original tune a bit more, there is that one section with the piano where things feel a little more remixed which I very much appreciated, that moment was entertaining, although it only lasted a short time. For 6 minutes, I felt there could have been more going on in there... uh, melody-wise I mean, not instrumentally. Still, colour me impressed. 6/10, loved the novelty of the sound in this one but wished that the original theme was implemented in a more creative way.

Youmu at the End

A rather intense orchestral arrangement. We got a foreboding build up, we got drums, and... that's about it. It has Youmu's stage theme, her boss theme, and the PCB credits theme, but despite that it feels like I'm listening to the same thing the whole way through, and it's all incredible linear in terms of being directly based on those original songs. The most interesting part was probably the transition from the first theme to the second. The transition of second to third wasn't so good. For 7 minutes and 3 source songs, it just feels like nothing changes in the whole song. Normally I really like orchestral but this needed more. 4/10.

The Illness Approaching You - Edelritter Remix

This has a good opening but things get way too hectic later on. The vocals are beautiful and it's got a very climactic feel to it, but starting at 2 minutes it just becomes way too rough on the ears, honestly I don't get the appeal. Well at least it ends eventually, and from 3.15 onwards is actually fantastic, but the part before it is egregious and that makes this very hard to rate overall... 6/10, honestly I'd like to give it higher but I just can't with that bit from the middle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Up 1

7. dBu Music - Unhuman Variations
there's a lot of variations yeah
it sounds ok, the mixing and arrangement is nice, it's just i have mixed feeling with combining 8-bit and hi-res(?) sounds, it feels out of place
i usually prefer 8-bits or it's variations to be faithful to it's own genre.

eh it's decent, still enjoyable 6.9/10

8. Komeji Records - Youmu at the End
this one has quite a few to comment about

proof DAW cant do everything, at least not as easy as everyone thinks.
it does sound digital lmao, unlike electro or any digital based genre, orchestral is supposed to be realistic.
there's a saying in digital art community; "Imperfections is digital perfection"
there's not enough dynamism happening with the orchestration, everything sounds perfectly arranged, the instrument velocity is constant in repeating melodies and so on, you get what i mean.

2:55 i thought it was ended, that transition ant feel right.
the pacing totaally suggest it's ending, i don't understand what it's trying to convey with bringing it back up.
5:16 wait again, that's definitely another track.
does submitting a whole album in tourney counts as one song?

4/10?  i feel that's too low but then also didnt enjoy this track as much, 4.5/10
i hope she (komeiji records) doesn't smite me or anything, i've seen her in few discord servers.
eh 2013 track, she definitely gotten better overtime

9. ZYTOKINE - The Illness Approaching You - Edelritter Remix
why sussy came twice in the first three rounds

2:05 everyone seems having issue with that part, yeah, me neither don't understand what's that for.
everything else sounds nice except whatever that thing was.
if only the remixer had slightly more self control.

6/10

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Up 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Placeholder for now as it's a little too late for me to do this now. I'll sort it out in the morning after I've listened to them all. (^_^)

Okay then, it's morning, so let's get on with it:-

7) What can I say, I bloody love Mamizou and anything chiptune related, as I already made abundantly clear previously (watch the side boob there though, Miss Meganekko... heh, better yet, let me watch it for you), so this is an instant win for me. Don't even care that it's too similar to the original, it sounds great - damn fine choice, Gou! (*_*)

9/10

8) Nice orchestral arrange of all the themes associated with Youmu, almost sounding like film score for a future Touhou movie perhaps?! (hopefully never made by Hollywood). Although I do like classical music, I'm not normally a big fan of this sort of thing as I often feel it's just a way of excusing the fact the original was computer generated (I'm well accustomed to people putting me down for liking 'bleep-bloop' music, believe me). Even so, if it's done well, I'm not going to pooh-pooh it, and this is exactly that, well done. (^_~)

7.5/10

9) Whoa! This is a hard one to rate. As almost all of you have pointed out, that bit near the 2 min mark is an "Ow, my ears!" moment, yet the rest of it is actually surprisingly good, especially the vocals. However, I really struggle to hear the connection to Desire Drive myself. Maybe I'm missing something there. (?_?)

6/10

Edited by SasaMisa
Adding some text.

1665302947_LancerDoll.png.f3d1d67b8a45698f0a8a0ea85f46d0fc.png As the Dollmaker herself would agree: Lancer Doll is best doll! (#^_^#)

I think I have dragged this round for a little too long, so I will try to be quick with the review this time

Unhuman Variations

I will be honest. I never listened to the original music theme of Mamizou, and only ever got in contact with it through the remix from LostWord and this one. As for the song we have in the contest, I like it quite a bit. I like the vibe of old video game (I still remember listening at the beginning of the year a lot of chip-tune/PC-98 style arrangements of Touhou songs), an this one is actually a fine addition to my collection. It actually made me curious to listen to Mamizou's theme. Also, if a song makes me want to listen to it multiple times, then it is a good song. I like that final instrument sound thing going on (what was the name of the instrument?)

Final grade - I will give it an 8.5/10

Youmu at the End

The intro is quite strong in this one, giving me the vibe of a final boss battle. Or maybe an epic battle in a movie. Which is a good thing. Also, I have noticed there are three themes that very much follow each other - Ancient Temple, Hiroari Shoots a Strange Bird and Japanizing Dream ~ Sakura, Sakura. As Youmu pretty much used to be my #1 character for a long time, I had a strong bias for her music themes too, counting arrangements too (after all, I have talked quite a bit about Junjo Arumeria back in the days of the Shinra-Bansho music thread). However, most likely due to having two long songs one after another in this round, it started to feel at some point that the song was getting long, and wondered how long will it last. Still good for background while doing something else though. 

Final grade - 7.5/10

The Illness Approaching You - Edelritter Remix

Wow, I really haven't listened to a Desire Drive arrangement since... I think it was since Necromantic? (wow, so more than a year) Anyway, I like the opening for this one. I am not familiar to the music group, but I think the singer sounded good (maybe my mind os making things up, but was her voice distorted through some effects?). Y did notice around 2:30 that switch to dubstep (so this is what dubstep is - I have heard the name of the genre long ago, yet never really managed to associate it with a specific song due to me basically sticking to a small number of genres and trying to keep it simple). For me, I think my favorite bits of the song were the more calm ones, with the piano arrangement bits of the original song. Not the best thing overall, but still far from being bad.

Final grade - I will give it a 7/10

• Like 1

spacer.png

Alright some good food

10. ARA - Area 4 (Capital City of Flowers in the Sky)

Ohh hell yeah that FM. Kinda reminds me of like, Ice Cap. But Megaman. Again got that bass doing uh, I don't remember if it's called a gallop but I'm gonna call it that. Huge fan of all the bell-ish sounds, FM does that really well. It has that little new section at the end to tie everything together and it sounds really nice, very slick. Wish this upload would have the loop though, I think that's important when talking about this kind of vgm. Anyways, overall energetic yet low profile and just.. neat!

7/10

11. Kommisar - Maple Dream

Dude I was almost gonna pick something from Kommisar, though not this one. Oh but this is good too, whole song just feels like a natural evolution of the original for me, even though the vibe is quite different. All those little sounds sprinkled about are really nice, and subtle enough that they don't distract from the rest of the song. The sections that were more quiet in the original are handled in a more aggressive way here and expanded upon. There's that chord progression at the end that I know I remember from somewhere but, don't know what it was. Anyways love it.

8/10

12. Shibayan Records - MyonMyonMyonMyonMyonMyon!

There was a time when this song would terrorize me constantly, always lurking in the corner of my Youtube recs. And it's a nice song, another cute yoom arrange. I really don't know what else to say since it barely goes anywhere in almost 6 minutes, debatable whether that's a bad thing or not in this case. Think the bass tries to do something at some points? The sound of it definitely changes over time at least. Eh idk, song's nice, kinda catchy, makes for good background music. みょん.

7/Myon

Edited by Tenkko
  • Like 1
  • Up 1

1. It's okay-ish not really a big fan of chiptune in general but it sounds quite decent and represents original track well too in this one case being short is actually it's advantage so it doesn't get too repetitive without any progression

6/10

2. Yeah.. as stated above normally i'm not big on chiptune but, Maple Dream always is a good dream (one of top 10 themes for me) aaand, this is a chiptune i could stand behind it's quite long for a genre but it does have decent progression so it pleases ear for a whole duration not just for a while and parts like 2:50 really add to it so it feels even better

7.5/10

3. Ah one of the Shibayan classics (i wish they could do more nu disco nowadays not just bossa nova) this one's on a bit weaker side of shibayan for me but it's still solid regardless (and quite short for a shibayan too lmao)
and 3L's voice really fits to this song too (cheerful and quite energetic) nya nya~

7/10

• Like 1
  • Up 1