RT8: [NOT] the Last Remix Tournament

Ken Hisuag

(Tradition dictates a Star Wars reference, but I don't want to jinx it; doubles as a Mystic Square reference.)

IT'S TIME! Announcing the eighth Moriya Shrine Remix Tournament!

Spoiler

I think my previous explanation was pretty good, so I'm just going adjust it slighty:

Enrollment will be open for approximately one week. Each participant shall submit three musical arrangements/remixes via Messages. The tournament itself shall consist of rounds of three remixes each, with each participant reviewing entries in their preferred manner of numbering system and commentary; rating of participant's own submissions is not discouraged, but will not affect the final score. Once all submissions have been featured and reviewed, the ratings shall be tallied to determine the "winner." Anyone and everyone is invited!

If there are any questions, feel free to inquire! Referencing previous tournaments may be helpful for clarification, though they should not be taken as "standards;" the goal is to have fun and appreciate music.

[Currently] Enrolled Participants:
@buskerdog
@Tenkko
@Shionne Imeris
@Drunken_Flower
@Gou the frog
@SasaMisa
@CountVonNumenor

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 7

TTT

It is here. (Wow, is this actually the eighth tournament?)

Since we've done so many of these now and there are a lot of new folk here, I actually suggest adding a new clause to the rules; that you can't submit a song that was featured in a past remix tournament. Ken's got a playlist of more or less all the past RT entries, but for anyone new here, I'm not saying you have to check it, I'm just saying that Ken might tell you to pick another song if you've accidentally submitted one that was already featured. The reason I suggest this rule is because for many of us the point of the remix tournament is to discover new music, so it would be counter-intuitive to have a song that was already featured show up again, and for those of us that have commented on it before it would be pretty pointless to just repeat ourselves.

Now with that out of the way, this time I already planned what songs I wanted to submit. I'm going all out with my submission this time! :AyaSmug:

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 2
  • Up 1

Request for general consensus: Can a mashup edit (defined as layering two different tracks of music over or into each other, regardless of whether they are related or not) be classified as a form of remix or musical arrangement (or, ignoring terminology, could they be accepted into a remix tournament)?

For example:

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

TTT

As I said last night, it does sound interesting, so definitely count me in. (^_~)

Indeed, despite not feeling so great, it prompted me to go on YouTube and see if I could find my 3 favourite remixed tracks from some of the Touhou fangames that I've played over the years. Mission accomplished anyway... expect the links to them in a PM soon. (#^_^#)

Edited by SasaMisa
Adding some text.
  • Thanks 1

1665302947_LancerDoll.png.f3d1d67b8a45698f0a8a0ea85f46d0fc.png As the Dollmaker herself would agree: Lancer Doll is best doll! (#^_^#)

Let it commence:

PHOENIX Project - The Young Descendant of Tepes
A "foreboding" opening.

Spoiler

Akatsuki Records - Infinite Gradation
An alternative opener.

Spoiler

Automata Girl - Cinnamon, Cinnamon!!
A different direction.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag
graduation
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TTT

huh. Alright let's see

1. Always nice to see arrangements of this, since it often gets overshadowed by.. well understandable since it's a pretty short track, anyways remix is pretty sweet, with an energetic rhythm that gives it the feeling of constantly moving forward. I do like the more mellow parts too, but the second one at 1:35 - 2:00 feels a bit out of place. 7/10

2. Yep that's Akatsuki Records. I'm somewhat burned out at this point but yeah. 6/10

3. Bit of an odd one, bit of a spicy one. It's kinda difficult to find the sound of the original here ('cept for a part near the end). Love the tone of the vocals, love that bass, love the general darker vibe it has, 9/10

• Up 1

everything is just peachy tonsh.gif.0b4075faabf61d7265e5c3fea342964f.gif

1. PHOENIX Project - The Young Descendant of Tepes
oh nice Phoenix Project, i dont understand why they are so underrated.
Dark Phoenix is popular but why not Phoenix Project? they literally the same person (and extra).

it does feel "foreboding" with the percussion and such
even more with stage 6 themes always had those kind of feelings in them

i do like the slow part also
giving small breaks from the intensity

8/10

2. Akatsuki Records - Infinite ...Graduation? Gradation?
Gradation makes more sense since Japanese often associate gradation with sky gradation, y'know.. Chimata.
unless this song is about keine lmao.

i finally found the word to describe akatsuki records, and that is: crowded.
sometimes i feel there's too much going on. that's why i only liked their ballad.

after much listening, some part of it actually grew into me
but then another part come in and yeah maybe no

7/10

5 hours ago, Tenkko said:

2. Yep that's Akatsuki Records. I'm somewhat burned out at this point but yeah.

?

FUCK NOW MY RECOMMENDATION IS FILLED WITH STACK HELP
bring baack my rare aarranges 742916716455264287.webp?size=32&quality=lossless

3. Automata Girl - Cinnamon, Cinnamon!!
ohman i was very very close to submitting this one, or at least another song from Automata Girl.
glad someone else did it, or it was me all along? (i totally forgot what i submitted)

Electro Swing is truly this decade genre, sweet evolution from it's popularity century ago.
the voice is quite fitting for city girl vibe.
talk about city vibe, that is mostly what the circle's style is.

sad how this album never released, only this song managed to get out.
the circle is quite short lived, the arranger died out due to burnout.
guess he cant handle the exponentially increasing quality and demand of his work.

9/10

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Up 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

I'll chime in on this little lot, shall I:-

1) Not a big fan of Remilia or any of her tunes really, but this is a nice piece, and typical of the vampire loli's remixes, ends up a rock track... because of course it does. Unrelated, but I'd just like to add as well that is one beautiful image of her and her winged friends! (*_*)

8/10

2) I've only seen a single playthrough of UM, so I don't think my opinion is particularly valid for any of the music from that game at this point. All I can really say is Akatsuki Records stuff is hit and miss for me, and this one mostly misses unfortunately. (-_-)

5/10

3) Damn, it took me a minute to recognise this was Tenshi's theme (the image didn't help me there much either at first), it's so slow tempo; like something out of a Humphrey Bogart movie, a jazz club scene perhaps. In fact, it's almost the antithesis of the original, which I suppose is what gives it its charm. (^_~)

9/10

Edited by SasaMisa
Removing some text.
  • Like 1

1665302947_LancerDoll.png.f3d1d67b8a45698f0a8a0ea85f46d0fc.png As the Dollmaker herself would agree: Lancer Doll is best doll! (#^_^#)

1. Always nice to hear percussions on the start of a song, it means either the entire thing is going to be amazing or it's going to score. Ah, also it's the mellow part as Tenko mentioned sounds tad bit out of place but I sense a medieval feeling. (Wait, is has always been medieval sounding) Solid, indeed.

7/10

2. Aye, You can't be too sure. A shame that the rhythm doesn't catch me like it normally did. The word "crowded" honestly fits this band as DrunkenFlower has stated. I might also need to go back a little and rest on ballads.

6/10

3. This tune is too catchy, the vibe it gives off it really hits me in the feels. City? truly is. 

8/10

Edited by Gou the frog
Truly, unusual text made out of poor grammar.
  • Up 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

2 minutes ago, Gou the frog said:

(This happens once in every three years right? but with newcomers excluding Shionne.)

oh yeah i forgot i had a tab open haha, but i think you're right

1. ahh Phoenix Project, i think they were one of my first known touhou metal bands and even though this piece isn't a metal i sure brings out some nostalgia but that aside. it's okayish nothing out of ordinary nothing too bad either (my favorite part probably would be a part right before the end though) remilia theme is somewhere in the middle for me as well so
6/10

2. stack, huh? kinda burned out of her voice since i used to listen akatsuki quite a bit in the past (though i really appreciate how versatile her voice can be) when it comes to it my favorite akatsuki track would probably be Karmanations though, this is decent a little bit better than previous one but not so much
7/10

3. that beggining got me and for a second i thought it's going to be a glitch hop track. if that would happen rating would definitely be much higher, though this vocalist's pretty nice and i like swingy arranges as long as it's not a jazz or stuff like bossa nova
7.5/10

overall quite entertaining round and waiting for more since it's a first time we actually got more than 4-5 members (we had a 6 once when Jerome was there though)

• Like 1
  • Up 1

9 minutes ago, Shionne Imeris said:

ince previous crew knows my kind of unique music tastes but that makes me wonder how participants that do not know will react to those

(A wild guess, not a fan of jazz and all that classical stuff? But I'm sure you're not that fond of Hip-hop, but you're fond of beat and Pc-98 psytrance; that's is all I can remember from the 17 pages of musical discovery thread imagine if Bskerdog and Ken Husang Joins in)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

10 minutes ago, Gou the frog said:

(A wild guess, not a fan of jazz and all that classical stuff? But I'm sure you're not that fond of Hip-hop, but you're fond of beat and Pc-98 psytrance; that's is all I can remember from the 17 pages of musical discovery thread imagine if Bskerdog and Ken Husang Joins in)

partially right, yeah classical and folk can be fine though depends on a song

fan of trance, psytrance, artcore, psystyle, colour bass, trancecore, hardstyle, glitch hop and so on (my previous message meant mostly that i doubt i'll see anyone posting stuff like mine [maybe ken since he likes to experiment or ocassionally buskerdog] but i'm a minority there so it just stands out quite a bit lmao)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shionne Imeris said:

partially right, yeah classical and folk can be fine though depends on a song

fan of trance, psytrance, artcore, psystyle, colour bass, trancecore, hardstyle, glitch hop and so on (my previous message meant mostly that i doubt i'll see anyone posting stuff like mine [maybe ken since he likes to experiment or ocassionally buskerdog] but i'm a minority there so it just stands out quite a bit lmao)

(It is. Classical and folk can sound magical. (How did you figure out my music taste in the span of five minutes? I'm quite impressed; add music box and waltz)

Oh don't worry, I've a special delivery for the musical thread, almost a week worth of said arrangements and remixes. 

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

I'm wondering the same thing actually, Shionne, since my picks are little more than simple fangame remixes. Never really been that heavily into music, certainly not to the point where I could quote all those genre types like you do there. However, I do know what I like and I am quite looking forward to seeing what you all think of the ones I went and chose at the end of the day. (=^_^=)

Edited by SasaMisa
Adding some text.

19 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

FUCK NOW MY RECOMMENDATION IS FILLED WITH STACK HELP

Personally, I see that as an absolute win. But I guess I am just that one guy who has been loyal to one music circle for a long time, and just will not get out of it no matter what. But your opinion is perfectly fine, and I can see why some people would feel as such. For me, Infinite Gradation/Mugen no guradeishon is one of the three songs that caught my attention from the Coooonsultant! album, the other two being the album opener and DIG IT DIG OUT. But is you want ballad, I think the new Flandre song PV is very much a ballad, so might fit your taste ?

spacer.png

3 hours ago, SasaMisa said:

I'm wondering the same thing actually, Shionne, since my picks are little more than simple fangame remixes. Never really been that heavily into music, certainly not to the point where I could quote all those genre types like you do there. However, I do know what I like and I am quite looking forward to seeing what you all think of the ones I went and chose at the end of the day. (=^_^=)

fair enough, genres are subjective and not really important as long as you like the stuff. though since we have a few new faces there it's quite intriguing to see what do they like and such

• Like 1