Does anybody remember Subterranean Rose?

CountVonNumenor

Or better said, does anyone remember the PV for that song? Because I think that is like the only thing I can still remember out of it, and not really for good reasons. From what I can remember about it (keep in mind that first and last time I have watched it was in December 2020), it was seen as one of the most controversial/worst PVs related to Touhou. I remember that at the time I stumbled upon this this one video floating around my early recommendations. It had in the title "(censored version)", and became curious to see what it was actually all about. The title did not make any allusion to unsuited stuff, and it takes a while until becoming questionable. I was looking to write this thread for quite a while now, and now I got the chance to tackle the topic due to old memories resurging.

From the video itself, here is what I got with since:

• action is mainly taking place at the Palace of the Earth Spirits
  • Alice and Patchouli are set on a mission - save Marisa, who was taken hostage after a battle of bullets against Koishi
  • ah yeah, Koishi acts as the villain in this story
  • as the two magicians set their way to save Marisa, a number of flashback happen; I cannot remember what exactly was each about, but the general theme was trying to establish a love triangle between the three magicians of Gensokyo (and apparently some yuri that was cut in the edit - not my words, but of those who saw the uncensored version)
  • as the new battle of bullets takes place at the PotES, Marisa seems to be hung on a cross, with all her clothes still on
  • as the battle progresses, it seems like Koishi will win; a however, new flashback happen, and I guess "power of love" helps Alice and Patchouli win the day
  • meanwhile, with each scene she appears in, Marisa seems to have her clothes more and more torn off (OK?); at the end, as Alice and Patchouli take Marisa down from the cross, Marisa is already naked; the whole scene in itself made me think a bit of the classic paintings of Jesus Christ being taken down from the Cross on a similar manner

I guess this is what the PV in itself is. I have only seen this version, and I would say it is rather questionable. It is not really that cool (even though the animation looks decent; for quite a while until I could get to know the name again, I used to call it "that PV looking almost like Manpuku jinja animation, but with yuri"), and, according to comments, the NSFW version is not too good at being, well, NSFW either. It is apparently seen as one of the biggest sins committed by Innocent Key towards the fandom (though to be fair, Innocent Key has committed quite a few sins), and the reception is overall not too good. But what do you think? Do you remember this PV and song? Do you know/remember other MVs coming from other more or less famous circles that you would find questionable? I honestly have forgotten the melody itself, and can only remember the animation for this. Is it the worst Touhou product I had the (un)chance to see? Not really, I have seen worse. It was more of a "meh", but I guess for the full experience I would have to see the other version of it too for a clear verdict. Which I am not sure if I will do too soon. 

• Like 1
  • Up 1

spacer.png

15 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

Or better said, does anyone remember the PV for that song? Because I think that is like the only thing I can still remember out of it, and not really for good reasons. From what I can remember about it (keep in mind that first and last time I have watched it was in December 2020), it was seen as one of the most controversial/worst PVs related to Touhou. I remember that at the time I stumbled upon this this one video floating around my early recommendations. It had in the title "(censored version)", and became curious to see what it was actually all about. The title did not make any allusion to unsuited stuff, and it takes a while until becoming questionable. I was looking to write this thread for quite a while now, and now I got the chance to tackle the topic due to old memories resurging.

Speaking old memories resurging, I truly have one PV that I found by a reddit shitpost, the name is border of extacy; I do not recommend it, since the song has weird beats and the punchline is, it's quite nude and not very well received just like the one you mentioned above, it might also be in the most controversial/worst PVs related to Touhou but I'll talk about it later on.

Now, on to your topic, I haven't seen the Pv itself although heard of it and the comments are a bit mixed-opinions. After watching it, I have to say the animation isn't too shabby and there is a alt Koshi design but the love triangle plot and yuri scenes seals out the Pv. There're also flashback scenes thus, the "trend power of friend" (and yuris) 

16 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

"power of love" helps Alice and Patchouli win the day

(Two kisses was needed to revive Marisa to beat alt Koshi with plot armor)

16 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

I guess this is what the PV in itself is. I have only seen this version, and I would say it is rather questionable. It is not really that cool (even though the animation looks decent; for quite a while until I could get to know the name again, I used to call it "that PV looking almost like Manpuku jinja animation, but with yuri"), and, according to comments, the NSFW version is not too good at being, well, NSFW either. It is apparently seen as one of the biggest sins committed by Innocent Key towards the fandom (though to be fair, Innocent Key has committed quite a few sins), and the reception is overall not too good. But what do you think? Do you remember this PV and song? Do you know/remember other MVs coming from other more or less famous circles that you would find questionable? I honestly have forgotten the melody itself, and can only remember the animation for this. Is it the worst Touhou product I had the (un)chance to see? Not really, I have seen worse. It was more of a "meh", but I guess for the full experience I would have to see the other version of it too for a clear verdict. Which I am not sure if I will do too soon. 

Very questionable for me as well. Huh... alright now to my flair,

Now, on to my answer: It's going to be surprising or not but here goes, IOSYS made a MV, then a PV. there're three version of that but shortly after they took it down, Mv wasn't though and here we're with border of estacy.

In the Sfw (Mv) version The theme is centered around Yuyuko and Yukari, they were getting bored and decided to go wild in the human world as Yukari messed with the border and began to terrorize all the otakus at Comiket meanwhile Ran warn Japan about the incident beforehand by handing and printing flyers all over the country. As usual, the two yokai ladies got bored and the outburst stops. 

However, in the ahem... version, things got wilder as those two are in the position of h-protags at the start of the video, oh boy, things sure take a turn as those two assault otakus in questionable ways, chen got scared in the process, Ran was the news reporter in Japan, Yomou got well.... that. The premise of the song is exaggerating domestic abuse. Yeah, that would be the end? No, there's more as I discovered a uncensored version since the comments clearly stated "There're three versions on the mv.

Now, in the name of science, the *cough* *cough* version of the the pervious ahem.... got a lot wilder as chen got replaced with Yuyuko..... and you can guess what went down the road. Hence, that's the summary of a song that IOSYS published and taken down. The discovery was thanks to a reddit post of a meme showing "the two ladies eyes with shadow covering and suggesting the viewer to run" 

Final notes, I also want to hear your opinions on slightly weird Pvs and Mvs thus, this will be quite interesting to tackle. 

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

35 minutes ago, adzi said:

Hm... where I can find that MV of border of extacy? I thought there were just 2 versions - the most explicit and the censored one, and that MV sounds rather different.

Right here, I must say it came out intresting.

• Up 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

37 minutes ago, Gou the frog said:

Now, on to my answer: It's going to be surprising or not but here goes, IOSYS made a MV, then a PV. there're three version of that but shortly after they took it down, Mv wasn't though and here we're with border of estacy.

In the Sfw (Mv) version The theme is centered around Yuyuko and Yukari, they were getting bored and decided to go wild in the human world as Yukari messed with the border and began to terrorize all the otakus at Comiket meanwhile Ran warn Japan about the incident beforehand by handing and printing flyers all over the country. As usual, the two yokai ladies got bored and the outburst stops. 

However, in the ahem... version, things got wilder as those two are in the position of h-protags at the start of the video, oh boy, things sure take a turn as those two assault otakus in questionable ways, chen got scared in the process, Ran was the news reporter in Japan, Yomou got well.... that. The premise of the song is exaggerating domestic abuse. Yeah, that would be the end? No, there's more as I discovered a uncensored version since the comments clearly stated "There're three versions on the mv.

Now, in the name of science, the *cough* *cough* version of the the pervious ahem.... got a lot wilder as chen got replaced with Yuyuko..... and you can guess what went down the road. Hence, that's the summary of a song that IOSYS published and taken down. The discovery was thanks to a reddit post of a meme showing "the two ladies eyes with shadow covering and suggesting the viewer to run" 

Damn, I never knew there were 3 versions of Border of Ecstasy. I was, just like adzi, only aware of 2 versions - the uncensored version and the version I could find on YouTube. I tried watching that one, but honestly I did not have the stomach to finish it once things started getting weird. IOSYS can be quite a mixed bag too. At times, they have really cool videos that turn into memes like Cirno's Perfect Math Class, Ibuki Club in Break All and Marisa Stole the Precious Things, but other times, they can get into weird stuff like Border of Ecstasy or Ribbon and Catnip and Me which might be just as bad and you feel they have gone too far. On an area that might count as middle, I would probably add Danzai Yamaxanadu. The song in itself is a banger, then animation is nice, but damn, did it make Eiki Shiki dirty... As for more questionale IOSYS material, one cannot also forget Touhou Rouran - Perverted Tengu and the Tragic Maidens or Heartful Nekoromancer (if this one is the video that was haing a strange ending).

But getting back to Innocent Key, they might also be accused of other sins as well. Probably one of the most notable ones was putting fire, if not starting the whole fanon depiction of Sakuya getting abused (sometimes even molested) by the Scarlet sisters. Which until now, I have noticed in 2 music videos - Touhou Celebrity - Abunai Sisters and Touhou Sweets. Both of them look, at first glance, like some cute and sweet PVs. Hell, in Abunai Sisters, the idea seems very basic: Remilia is bored, so Flandre comes with the idea of organizing a party at the SDM despite Sakuya's hesitation and concern over the logistics of organizing a big part (which ends with her getting abused). Also, whoever did the voice for Sakuya in that song, I really love it. Such a shame things ended they way they did...

The two PVs are available on YouTube, at a surprisingly good image quality:

Before ending, there is one more weird one, which becomes weird ever since the thumbnail. I am talking about 『全人類ノ非想天則+SE版 from SOUND HOLIC. They usually has good songs (I really like Grip & Break down!, and INFINITE WORLD has a nice music video), but this one really has weird visuals. If the thumbnail looks questionable, the video in itself is a drug trip. You have the Hakurei Shrine and Moriya Shrine turning into mechs, operated on one side by Reimu and Marisa, and on the other by Kanako, Suwako and Sanae fighting over Gensokyo. You have the design of the Hakurei Shrine mech that has some rather stereotypical symbols an depictions towards Jews, and you also have the scene from the thumbnail (what, did you think it will be just clickbait?). Interesting to see how much does bondage/BDSM helps in training to pilot a mech. Also Suwako, isn't Sanae basically your daughter or something? Gonna put that in too, just in a spoiler due to the nature of the image:

Spoiler

INFINITE WORLD music video - this is how you do a PV about Aya going around Gensokyo and taking photos 

And the music video for Grip & Break Down!! (huh, Marisa looks quite good with thigh-highs, I was not expecting them to fit so well with the magician outfit). As I have listened to this song through Spotify (thank god we have the doujins on Spotify since last year), I have never seen the PV in itself, so idk why she is kicking Patchouli.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, CountVonNumenor said:

they can get into weird stuff like Border of Ecstasy or Ribbon and Catnip and Me which might be just as bad and you feel they have gone too far.

Add "DO YOU WANT TO QUIT BEING A MAID? DO YOU WANT TO QUIT BEING HUMAN?" (メイドやめますか?人間やめますか?) Judging from the title it's not going to end well for a certain maid character (Not Mugetsu nor Ruukoto or Yumeko)

And with tis the last post of a unusual individual, I'll be back with more answers tomorrow.

• Thinking 1
  • Up 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

Despite the fact I've seen plenty of Walfas & MMD related works, I haven't seen much of the material you guys have put up here, so first of all, thank you very much for that. (#^_^#)

That aside, I watched Subterranean Rose last night and it seemed pretty good to me. The girls all looked nice and those were great renditions of Last Remote & Hartmann's Youkai Girl. Seeing Alice & Patchouli together instantly made me think of Mystical Chain too, the way they are forced to work together, although it really is just a take on SA sans Nitori for some reason. (^u^)

In addition, I have to say the ecchi aspects of these sorts of things don't bother me anymore to be honest. I've seen a lot worse over the years, doujin wise, so I guess I'm just a lot more easy going nowadays. That in no way is meant to diminish your experiences of course; everyone is free to enjoy Touhou Project in the manner they prefer. (^_^)

Edited by SasaMisa
Word substitution.
  • Like 2

1665302947_LancerDoll.png.f3d1d67b8a45698f0a8a0ea85f46d0fc.png As the Dollmaker herself would agree: Lancer Doll is best doll! (#^_^#)

3 hours ago, SasaMisa said:

That aside, I watched Subterranean Rose last night and it seemed pretty good to me. The girls all looked nice and those were great renditions of Last Remote & Hartmann's Youkai Girl. Seeing Alice & Patchouli together instantly made me think of Mystical Chain too, the way they are forced to work together, although it really is just a take on SA sans Nitori for some reason. (^u^)

So it was an arrangement for Last Remote and Hartman's Youkai Girl? I really have not listened to that song with enough attention at the time. Also, i think when I first found Subterranean Rose, I don't think I even knew that two songs yet...

3 hours ago, SasaMisa said:

In addition, I have to say the ecchi aspects of these sorts of things don't bother me anymore to be honest. I've seen a lot worse over the years, doujin wise, so I guess I'm just a lot more easy going nowadays. That in no way is meant to diminish your experiences of course; everyone is free to enjoy Touhou Project in the manner they prefer. (^_^)

Yeah, perfectly fair. It was honestly the fact all I could remember that song for was the love triangle and ecchi Marisa moments. At the time, I was not too used to ecchi/lewd stuff, but I feel like in time I got desensitized to such content (in a way, I can "thank" Danbooru for that). Still, this does not give a clear explanation why there is so much hate for this music video, the awful reputation it gets, and overall bad reputation Innocent Key gets as a music group. Generally, the joke goes like "Innocent Key? They are not really so innocent as their name implies". 

• Up 1

spacer.png