Site Themes

Nitorium

Greetings all,

So we will be changing the way the site looks and the feel of navigation.
If you scroll down, under Themes, we've added two new ones: iLight and iDark.

We would like your feedback on these two. Such as what to add, what to remove, what colors would be best, what background images to add, etc.

In about a weeks time, we will be removing all other themes and will ONLY be using those two.

ANY feedback is appreciated.

Thank you all!

• Thanks 1

Easily deploy an SSD cloud server on DigitalOcean in 55 seconds. Sign up using my link below and receive $10 in credit.

Deploy with DO!  \o/

I like the new theme, but here's some things I suggest you change:

-When you click on "community" tab:

image.png.a647d0c7bd3f5bb5c0d618dfa9bd224b.png

Clubs should absolutely not be the top option, no one uses those. Put forums at the top instead.

-On the "Forums" page, I miss those little pictures we had for each forum category : (

-I find that forum posts are now a bit too w i d e for my personal taste, would prefer it didn't span the whole width of the page. Idk if this is something you can change in the new "customizer"?

47 minutes ago, buskerdog said:

I like the new theme, but here's some things I suggest you change:

-When you click on "community" tab:

image.png.a647d0c7bd3f5bb5c0d618dfa9bd224b.png

Clubs should absolutely not be the top option, no one uses those. Put forums at the top instead.

-On the "Forums" page, I miss those little pictures we had for each forum category : (

-I find that forum posts are now a bit too w i d e for my personal taste, would prefer it didn't span the whole width of the page. Idk if this is something you can change in the new "customizer"?

Great suggestions, all can be done.

The customizer is actually a personal preference. it has no affect towards everyone else, just you.

Easily deploy an SSD cloud server on DigitalOcean in 55 seconds. Sign up using my link below and receive $10 in credit.

Deploy with DO!  \o/

I kinda miss the artwork, but the site seems to load better so I'm not gonna complain. I love the dedicated accessibility options in the tab bar; I'd appreciate having the "all activity" button available both logged in and out. If I notice anything else, I'll bring it up.

BTW, this topic doesn't show up on the front page (given the forum it's in), so you may want to find some way of drawing attention to it in case it gets missed/buried in the activity feed.

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

45 minutes ago, Ken Hisuag said:

I kinda miss the artwork, but the site seems to load better so I'm not gonna complain. I love the dedicated accessibility options in the tab bar; I'd appreciate having the "all activity" button available both logged in and out. If I notice anything else, I'll bring it up.

BTW, this topic doesn't show up on the front page (given the forum it's in), so you may want to find some way of drawing attention to it in case it gets missed/buried in the activity feed.

Thanks for this  and the topic should appear now on the front page.

Deploy with DO!  \o/

2 hours ago, Nitorium said:

The customizer is actually a personal preference. it has no affect towards everyone else, just you.

Uh yes I knew that, what I sort of meant was "maybe it's something I can change in the customizer, you tell me", haha.

I kind of like the Moriya Dark (Default) theme myself, it's very easy on my old eyes. The two new ones have way too much contrast for me personally, even the Shrine iDark one unfortunately. (>_<)

The extra options under the Customizer are nice though, and if it included a way to lessen that brilliant white text a bit, I'd be totally fine with it. (=^_^=)

Edited by SasaMisa
Adding some text.

1665302947_LancerDoll.png.f3d1d67b8a45698f0a8a0ea85f46d0fc.png As the Dollmaker herself would agree: Lancer Doll is best doll! (#^_^#)

2 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

I kinda miss the artwork, but the site seems to load better so I'm not gonna complain.

I have an idea. Nitorium, would it be possible from a technical standpoint to let users choose whether they want that background Suwako image to load or not? That way people can choose whether they want to optimise for performance or for frogs.

2 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

I love the dedicated accessibility options in the tab bar; I'd appreciate having the "all activity" button available both logged in and out.

Wait, what "all activity" button?

Idk if it's the same thing that Ken is talking about but I'd also like to mention that I love the new bar at the top where your profile image is with all the different options next to it, very sleek and convenient! I don't actually know if the "create" button was there before or not, but I like it. That being said, maybe tuck away light theme button somewhere else, perhaps within the customizer tab. I accidentally clicked on the light theme button when wanting to look in the customizer and cursed my eyes.

Edited by buskerdog

On 5/10/2022 at 11:18 PM, buskerdog said:

I have an idea. Nitorium, would it be possible from a technical standpoint to let users choose whether they want that background Suwako image to load or not? That way people can choose whether they want to optimise for performance or for frogs.

I've now made a solid colour background the default for performance and the image(s) as other options to choose from if people want to. Also made them jpgs instead of pngs to reduce file size and improve performance. Hopefully that will help.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:18 PM, buskerdog said:

That being said, maybe tuck away light theme button somewhere else, perhaps within the customizer tab

Unfortunately, the theme settings will also remove the switch in the customizer tab if we disable the icon in the nav bar so it has to stay there as well if we want to offer an easy option to switch between them. We'd have to manually modify the themes html/css to move the icon or hide it while not affecting it in the customizer tab. :SaguDown:

• Thanks 1
  • Up 1

Glad to see this is getting a bit of traction. 

If a feature is largely requested by a lot of people then we can see of a way to add it in.

Deploy with DO!  \o/

I like the new themes personally (although I'm not sure which one I prefer yet), but is there a reason why the old ones need to be removed? It seems odd to not let people choose which one they'd like to use. I'm assuming there's a reason of some kind, I just can't quite see what that would be. As for the new themes... yeah, I like them a lot! In particular, I really like the occasional glowy green lines certain things have. Not sure why, they just have a nice vibe to them. I also like the fact that most things have gradients, it's much more visually interesting than exclusively flat colors in my opinion. I'm aware the gradients were a thing before too (although they're slightly more emphasized here which is nice), this part's just meant to be less "I like this change" and more "I like that this specific thing didn't change". The only thing I can see that I'd consider changing is the lack of a background image, but you've already said that an option to have one will be added in the final version, so I have no complaints with the themes themselves. Just think the option to decide which one I'd like to use would be nice, assuming that's possible.

EDIT: Somehow managed to miss that the background image options are already there, which is nice. Also I like how the notification icon is a globe instead of a bell now, it looks cooler like this.

Edited by Cosmic
  • Up 1

On 5/14/2022 at 4:53 AM, Cosmic said:

I like the new themes personally (although I'm not sure which one I prefer yet), but is there a reason why the old ones need to be removed? It seems odd to not let people choose which one they'd like to use. I'm assuming there's a reason of some kind, I just can't quite see what that would be. As for the new themes... yeah, I like them a lot! In particular, I really like the occasional glowy green lines certain things have. Not sure why, they just have a nice vibe to them. I also like the fact that most things have gradients, it's much more visually interesting than exclusively flat colors in my opinion. I'm aware the gradients were a thing before too (although they're slightly more emphasized here which is nice), this part's just meant to be less "I like this change" and more "I like that this specific thing didn't change". The only thing I can see that I'd consider changing is the lack of a background image, but you've already said that an option to have one will be added in the final version, so I have no complaints with the themes themselves. Just think the option to decide which one I'd like to use would be nice, assuming that's possible.

EDIT: Somehow managed to miss that the background image options are already there, which is nice. Also I like how the notification icon is a globe instead of a bell now, it looks cooler like this.

Well, on a technical aspect, there really isn't a reason to remove the old ones. It's just that, to me, it seems much cleaner having only a few to choose from then a entire list...
But if other people like the other ones then I can just leave them.

• Thanks 1
  • Up 1

Deploy with DO!  \o/