Old RP profiles

Hi!
Is there a way to access the old proboards forums again? Or is there a backup of them somewhere?
I just need to pull out all of my old RP profiles real quick.

Going back to that site says that it's in maintenance mode and is pointing me here instead.
Browsing this site didn't lead my to any RP profile section anywhere.

• 2 months later...

We can easily get a role play going on, we just need to reach out to people outside of this site and bring them here. Perhaps there are active role plays going on pertaining to touhou. If there are, it's not happening here, which is the simplest solution to the problem. There's also the "risk" of people who dislikes other people's rp style, given that there are a multitude of formats. Then there's the "risk" of people who don't know much about touhou versus people who may perhaps have dedicated free time towards learning about Gensokyo, the outside worlds, and canon vs non-canon plots. I'm sorry if I do not respond any time soon, if at all, I'll most likely have moved on to other things.

• 2 months later...

Role playing is pretty common in Facebook. For example, my acquaintance, Ross, and me are actively role playing  as Zelda characters, Touhou characters or sometimes we just go with our OCs. How it would work on this site is what I'm interested about.

On 5/24/2018 at 1:55 AM, Hanami said:

We can easily get a role play going on, we just need to reach out to people outside of this site and bring them here. Perhaps there are active role plays going on pertaining to touhou. If there are, it's not happening here, which is the simplest solution to the problem. There's also the "risk" of people who dislikes other people's rp style, given that there are a multitude of formats. Then there's the "risk" of people who don't know much about touhou versus people who may perhaps have dedicated free time towards learning about Gensokyo, the outside worlds, and canon vs non-canon plots. I'm sorry if I do not respond any time soon, if at all, I'll most likely have moved on to other things.

True. Although we don't actually HAVE any RPs going on at the moment, deciding on the format is an important step.

Say, only Touhou-related RPs or anything goes? Story-focused only or more "gameplay-ish" rounds (such as Mafia Games)? Integrated profiles to use certain OCs every time possible, or creating a new character case-per-case?

I'd like to see everyone's input on this, but while I'm at it, my two cents: I do not think RPs unrelated to Touhou would be troublesome, even if this is a Touhou forum. I used to play a LOT of Forum RPs elsewhere (The Casual Collective; a golden penguin to you if you've even heard of it), from all kinds of serious and long-running to absolute silly BS (such as "The Great Office Adventure", where players were... generic office building employees. It eventually featured oil tycoons breeding cannibal ostriches. Don't ask.) and every style of story has its merits. Hell, even Mafia Games can be implemented easily as long as there are enough active players; I've played dozens of those, and it's a style that can easily be adapted to MANY different styles (from simple re-skins, such as Mafia Games IN SPACE! to variations with surprising depth). You could easily make a Gensokyo Mafia if you wanted.

I see no issue with non-touhou roleplaying here (would probably make a seperate sub-board for it though).  Different styles of roleplaying could be certainly done as well, so long one makes it clear how it's going to work and doesn't make issues of it (intentional or not).

Personally, if there is enough interest, then I wouldn't mind hosting a small, light roleplay, just to see how it takes here.  (though I prefer purely text and character focused roleplaying).

afaik, the only rules would be keep it legal, and don't create new profiles to do new characters... although that last one was more for the sake of proboards so there might be some work around... kinda need to follow up on what was happening with linked-profiles to replace alters...

In general: go for it

W2HhOfH.pngThe ケロ happened here?

Here's a wild idea. Thunder said "Say, only Touhou-related RPs or anything goes? Story-focused only or more "gameplay-ish" rounds (such as Mafia Games)? Integrated profiles to use certain OCs every time possible, or creating a new character case-per-case?" It made me think, no matter what, it's going to have some kind of story/exposition anyways, so how would we go about it. What do people think of when they think role play? They think things like Cops and Robbers, Dungeons and Dragons, World of Warcraft, etc generally.

Then, Cejic said "don't create new profiles to do new characters," which lead up to the idea. What if WE don't make new characters, but the Touhou characters make characters. In many stories and plots revolving around Touhou, there's always some sort of gathering taking place, so why not have them gather to try a game that Marisa or someone would've found in the Forest of Magic? We could use a real game name, or we could make our own simplified rendition that takes out dice rolling and complex stats on our part.

Just in case anyone is lost so far, think of it as we're role playing a Touhou character, who is role playing their own character for this. It doesn't have to be just them role playing, there could be moments of Gensokyo world conflicts going on that might perhaps interrupt a session, such as if Suika were to barge in with her sake, or Cirno and Daiyousei eavesdropping and coming in just as it's about to start. They could be a bit of comic relief, or a way of new people joining in throughout the "hopefully long-term" role play.

And technically, who's to say that humans can't join in, which could be a mildly canon or original interpretation of an OC in that sense? This is just an example I'm giving, also inspired by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8D4Y-FaXQM which is pretty funny.

Overall though, I think it would be good to have two or three independent role play threads going on to try to attract attention to sparking role play in this forum, which I'm sure the administrators would love to see a surge of constant activity if it does succeed.

I have to admit, the idea of some Touhou characters playing some sort of D&D knockoff is very interesting.  Just thinking of all the various characters trying to roleplay, and all the different antics they could get up to while doing so brings to mind a lot of potential humor.  I would certainly be up for it myself.

Also, I think Ceje was refering to not making new site profiles for when one plays new characters, not meaning to not make new characters.

Well, I don't know about you guys' experiences with forum RPs, but from what I've played, the character profiles were mostly "one-and-done" stuff; there was no need to create entirely new profiles for each character, since they were mostly per-case basis; at most, the GM would edit the main post with each player's stats or so, and leave most of the character background and personality for the players to develop along the way, without including it in the templates for stats/classes/whatever. Given how they weren't exactly D&D scale, it worked better as those games went on for a couple weeks or so and people would be playing a handful of RPs at the same time. We didn't exactly use the same characters for different RPs, especially because every game used a completely different mechanic (from a MOTHER-like game about cats, to turn-based stategy battles, to conventional "real-time" action...), but that's just me.

That said, I'm not sure if there would even be enough space in a post to edit player profiles later, as I'm not aware if there are limits to how much you can type in a single post, if any.

As for Hanami's suggestion about roleplaying Touhou characters while they roleplay, it sounds like it would lead to very insane, chaotic, bizarre situations beyond common sense. I love it. This has to be done eventually, there's a lot of potential in that model.

Archived