Does your country have a Touhou community?

CountVonNumenor

I will start with talking about my country, Romania:

We are a small-medium nation just at the border of the Balkans with Eastern Europe. In general, foreign pop culture used to, and still does, comes with a very long delay, sometimes of even 5-10 years. When we were getting cartoons as children, many of them were already at their god knows how much-th rerun in th US and the West (yes, we grew up with Cartoon Network, Getix and later Disney Channel in the early 2000s), and we were never getting a full series, just a few seasons that were dubbed. Anime broadcasting was not a thing, at least not since the end of 1990s on Romanian television. Even today, many people would not understand if you made a reference from a foreign series, as nowadays it is mostly on us, the teenagers, thanks to the internet, to see what is going on outside.

And for this reason, for a lot of time, I thought Touhou would be a completely niche series, that nobody heard of. Things changed though when I found out apparently there is a Romanian Discord server dedicated to Touhou and its community. The series is still very much underground here, as our pop culture seems to be very much still isolationist (possibly a result of 45 years of communism, followed by 30 years of uncertain democracy), and so people were not too interested in foreign pop culture. 

Anyway, a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one:

Spoiler

spacer.png

(this is not a promotion; I am simply amazed a community exists at all in here)

Edited by CountVonNumenor
  • Like 3
  • Up 1

spacer.png

It's nice that you guys in Romania have your own discord for touhou. I remember watching shows that were also just a few seasons on channels like Getix. My first introduction to anime was Tokyo Mew Mew but in the west it was dubbed as Mew Mew Power. 

As for the UK, you can pretty much find a lot of fans here. I was surprised when I found out that a lot of people I was talking to on twitter or discord were actually close by. To be honest, I think that's great cause if there were any fan events here, I wouldn't have to worry about travel.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SUPERNOOB20 said:

I don't really know if my country, Argentina, actually has a community for Touhou or not, but I hope it does! :D

Argentino también

Nah I don't think there is. I guess there's a general hispanic community.

Edited by Tenkko
  • Thinking 1

everything is just peachy tonsh.gif.0b4075faabf61d7265e5c3fea342964f.gif

1 hour ago, niko uwu said:

i think it would be nice to have a friend with similar interests

Luckily, my best friend is also a Touhou fan. I managed to drag him in get him back into the series (he knew about Touhou a few years prior, but never got too much into it) soon after I got in, and ever since both of us enjoy. We have different tastes, but this has been common ground for us, and it's been quite fun to play some of the games (or at least trying to...)

• Like 1

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, CountVonNumenor said:

Luckily, my best friend is also a Touhou fan. I managed to drag him in get him back into the series (he knew about Touhou a few years prior, but never got too much into it) soon after I got in, and ever since both of us enjoy. We have different tastes, but this has been common ground for us, and it's been quite fun to play some of the games (or at least trying to...)

You sir have a very good friend. I wondered to this day by myself if I could drag my best friend to Touhou before he transferred school and moving on. He was very passionate about Shoot 'em up too. If I can meet him one day, I'd definitely tell him all about Touhou. 

Spoiler

Since then, I don't have any best friend anymore. Most of my so-called "childhood friends" abandoned me, to put a salt on the wound, my recent "childhood friend" and I met up on online but he pull a "last seen 10 years ago stunt." 

1 hour ago, niko uwu said:

i think it would be nice to have a friend with similar interests

Well, if you consider this active forum as your friends. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. if not, I'll make it feel like a friday night.

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

11 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

I will start with talking about my country, Romania:

We are a small-medium nation just at the border of the Balkans with Eastern Europe. In general, foreign pop culture used to, and still does, comes with a very long delay, sometimes of even 5-10 years. When we were getting cartoons as children, many of them were already at their god knows how much-th rerun in th US and the West (yes, we grew up with Cartoon Network, Getix and later Disney Channel in the early 2000s), and we were never getting a full series, just a few seasons that were dubbed. Anime broadcasting was not a thing, at least not since the end of 1990s on Romanian television. Even today, many people would not understand if you made a reference from a foreign series, as nowadays it is mostly on us, the teenagers, thanks to the internet, to see what is going on outside.

And for this reason, for a lot of time, I thought Touhou would be a completely niche series, that nobody heard of. Things changed though when I found out apparently there is a Romanian Discord server dedicated to Touhou and its community. The series is still very much underground here, as our pop culture seems to be very much still isolationist (possibly a result of 45 years of communism, followed by 30 years of uncertain democracy), and so people were not too interested in foreign pop culture. 

Anyway, a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one:

My turn, good sir! In my country (Myanmar):  

there aren't many "anime fan" overall. Most of my people taste in content is a bit "thought-provoking" if I have to say so. Foreign culture usually comes in a very long delay in my country like yours. (Bouns points if it's from the west: we haven't had anything from the west for 4 years.) For the cartoons, I grew up with Nickelodeon, Cartoon Networks & Getix and some Disney Cartoon but they are not fully subbed most of time. Thus, 8 year old me didn't understand anything at all. Anime Broad Casting wasn't in my town, until 2010 in Myanmar television. Truly, the people at my town won't know anything, if you reference a cartoon or jokes from a western series.            (I really want them to know Tom & Jerry, Spongbob, all the good stuff.) I might have to wait seven full blue moons to find a friend that can finally get what I'm talking about. 

Like Yin & Yang, if there's good, there's must also be the bad. I'm a bit jealous that there's a dedicated Discord Sever in your country. While most of my people don't even now what discord is and swifts to Facebook like there's a light shining around it.

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

I'm from hungary, and I don't think there are many touhou fans here. I looked for fan groups on the internet, but the most I found was a facebook group with 90 members and a discord server with 28 members called "Understanding Touhoufans Discord Server" (translated). There's also a youtube channel with 147 subs, but like 1/3rd of the videos posted aren't in hungarian, and the most viewed video is bad apple with subtitles (not that surprising).

9 hours ago, Gou the frog said:

Well, if you consider this active forum as your friends. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. if not, I'll make it feel like a friday night.

yeah people here seem nice. i never realised there were active forums until the legal issues incident

much better place to talk to people than horny 4chan

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2022 at 10:10 PM, Isaac said:

As for the UK, you can pretty much find a lot of fans here. I was surprised when I found out that a lot of people I was talking to on twitter or discord were actually close by. To be honest, I think that's great cause if there were any fan events here, I wouldn't have to worry about travel.

Eyyy, fellow UK fan!

As for my experience with Touhou fans in England, I don't know any people personally in my country who are Touhou fans, but occasionally at anime/JP-related events I've seen a Touhou cosplayer or 2. That doesn't happen often, though. There are also Touhou fans I've seen on the internet who are from UK, so there's that as well.

I don't know if I'd say my country has a Touhou "community", but knowledge of the series at least seems to be out there.

On 4/17/2022 at 8:39 PM, CountVonNumenor said:

And for this reason, for a lot of time, I thought Touhou would be a completely niche series, that nobody heard of. Things changed though when I found out apparently there is a Romanian Discord server dedicated to Touhou and its community.

I actually happened to find a Touhou UK & Ireland fan server recently. Not much really happens there, but I guess the fact it at least exists means something.

• Like 1

I'm from the Balkans, and I think that ny country, unfortunately, doesn't have a community. I do have friends who are into Touhou, but I can count the number of those friends on one hand. But I am sure there are more people in my country who know about Touhou. (Also I think I'm genuinely the only person in my town to own some kind of Touhou merch lmfao)

Number 1 Alice, Meiling and Youmu fan! jaooooooooo

1 hour ago, sodaodaoda said:

I'm from the Balkans, and I think that ny country, unfortunately, doesn't have a community.

Hello, fellow Balkan neighbor! It is a bit unfortunate Touhou is not really well known in this part of the world, but at least we should be happy there is more than nothing at the very least. For us, in Romania, it is not so much better, as from what I have found we only have that 100 members server on Discord and a few wiki pages translated in Romanian (unfortunately, they are not on the good wiki, but on the Fandom one). But I see we also have an area on the internet dedicated to patching the games and translating them to Romanian. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 3 months later...

Vietnamese person here, and honestly, if there's anything of a Touhou community here, it's definitely thriving. For once, we do take precedence in our fandom. 
Fangames made by some members in our community, a hefty amount of cosplayers and in general, fans alike. I do take hope into seeing us thrive more haha, and I guess we are still strong in hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waddlewaffle said:

Vietnamese person here, and honestly, if there's anything of a Touhou community here, it's definitely thriving. For once, we do take precedence in our fandom. 
Fangames made by some members in our community, a hefty amount of cosplayers and in general, fans alike. I do take hope into seeing us thrive more haha, and I guess we are still strong in hands.

Touhou fans are everywhere!

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2022 at 2:32 PM, Gou the frog said:

While most of my people don't even now what discord is and swifts to Facebook like there's a light shining around it.

Whoa, wait a minute.

Surely, most people here don't know discord. But I think quite some amount of teenagers here use discord. (not in my group of friends but I caught a glimpse of my classmate using discord like a month ago. And another one while I'm at the pagoda to… uh… how do I say this. worship as a group.) And the fact that they use Facebook like it's the only social media. seriously.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:32 PM, Gou the frog said:

there aren't many "anime fan" overall. 

Meanwhile, my friends calls me a 'villager' for not knowing the anime they know. How much I want to whack the hell outta them… for calling me like that while they don't know stuffs that I know.

I doubt they'll ever get into touhou if it's not translated in Burmese. Like an adult (I think so) texted me (without knowing that I'm actually much younger than him) "this use me" instead of "I use it." one time. And my friend wants to get into touhou but she's being skeptical because they're in English. Geez. 

And one thing I hate about people here. What the hell is wrong with listening instrumentals?! Even if you don't like them, shut up. It's not like I'm you.

That's all for now!!

• Like 1
  • Up 1

On 9/20/2022 at 10:20 PM, MoeNwe said:

And the fact that they use Facebook like it's the only social media. seriously.

Indeed, it can get tiresome at times. I still don't have a facebook account since I'm tired of the lads at school trying to message me about anything they came across. Oh, for discord, I have only seen a friend use it at a tuition. 

Meanwhile, my friends calls me a 'villager' for not knowing the anime they know. How much I want to whack the hell outta them… for calling me like that while they don't know stuffs that I know.

For starters, most of them ae like that. Although, I wasn't expecting the word "Villager" here. It's has been a long since anyone at my school called me that. And yes, it's infuriating.

And one thing I hate about people here. What the hell is wrong with listening instrumentals?! Even if you don't like them, shut up. It's not like I'm you.

A matter of preference really, but I understand where you're coming from. Those people, I generally tend to pay no mind. At least, you can share the same interest in this thread. 

• Like 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

• 2 months later...

A very small one, actually

Between my friends, only 2 like touhou and you barely see stuff about it here

But for the good side, you can find fumos for a pretty cheap price here xd

I got into the community some months ago, so i can't say how it was here in Brazil some years ago, but i still think it never was that famous here, not even when touhou was mainstream

But touhou music is pretty famous here, everyone i know listened or have a touhou song saved, even without knowing what touhou is xd

Edit: I found out, Brazilians made some memes about touhou and used lots of touhou sound effects to make YTPs xd

Look, I found this from the Brazilian touhou community:

R.png.a3342f3b88f67254714c43c67ae6f17f.png

Edited by _.Mevs