Touhou Official games contest (now accepting entries)

jssf1992

Which Game are we playing?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which game are we playing?

• 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
    • 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom
    • 8: Imperishable Night
    • 10: Mountain of Faith
    • 11: Subterranean Animism
    • 12: Undefined Fantastic Object
    • 13: Ten Desires
    • 14: Double Dealing Character
    • 15: Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom
    • 16: Hidden Star in Four Seasons

This poll is closed to new votes

Greetings Shrine Denizens! We're making changes to expand the scope of our Touhou Official Games Contest to encourage more entries. Please check the following post for more information on rewards. On another note, if you wish to participate, don't keep us in the dark until you're ready to submit! We now require a minimum amount of applicants before we may give rewards. Apply early, and practice well, SAVE THOSE REPLAYS (and remember to use your name here or on Discord!), and submit your best.. Good luck, and Have fun!

Our rules of submission have been changed! We now have rewards for each difficulty. In light of this, we will have the contest split into four tiers (Easy, Normal, Hard, Lunatic), and we are allowing for applying for more than one, however, you may only win one difficulty's rewards. This DOES include Easy mode, so don't feel intimidated, just do your best!
We're going to be sticking with Legacy mode with the game. (yes this has been edited/changed a couple of times, since I haven't played this game and am relying on others to know the difference between modes)

Winners will be chosen based on bomb and life count. With total high score from all stages being the tiebreaker. So basically, lives > bombs > score.

The rewards for each tier are listed as follows:

All rewards will be delivered via Steam credit, Humble Bundle games OR PayPal of the indicated value.

Easy - $5

Normal - $15

Hard - $25

Lunatic - $50

Those that have already submitted, you have the option to stay within the hard tier OR submit another within the other tiers.

CURRENT SUBMISSIONS

(life count, bomb count, total score)

===========================

PLEASE SEE FORUM INDEX PAGE FOR CURRENT SUBMISSIONS

With these recent changes, we have also extended the contest to March 30th.

barely played lolk, but i'll give it a shot. Signing up

Question, how is the final score calculated? simply lives + bombs, or priority is given to lives?

Edited by ZeroPride

The whole thing is a good idea, but going for Touhou 15 was a bit much. Also, I thought of many problems as best as I could on TH15.

List of problems or questions that might affect the player:

1. Hard mode (Especially using on Legacy Mode) might be a bit much for the players.
2. We don't know what mode we should use. Point Device or Legacy Mode?
3. If we play on Hard and manage to lose all our lives, do we still have to post our replays (Best run even if it's outdated)?
4. Livestreams can also be proof for the player. Right? (In case of players forgot to save their replays)
5. If the player's name was different on Discord, should they change their nickname in order to qualify?
6. What if they don't have the game itself? Would you provide them the game?
7. Junko is OP! I don't want players to get triggered at this game. Especially on the Hard Diff.

Granted I wasn't the mastermind of this operation but as I see it.

1) We'll see if hard mode is too much, but there's also a concern of players that hard mode is too easy for them. If needed the contest will be adjusted to a different difficulty on the next event we can.

2) I believe that's player choice

3) Losing all your lives does not disqualify you of winning, it just makes it less likely that you would. 

3.5) I'd think that we'd like the timestamp of a replay to be within the 2 week period of the event (I could be wrong though)

4) Livestreams could count if you got a moderator of the event to witness it, replays would be easier to coordinate imo

5) You shouldn't need to change any of your account nicknames to qualify, so long as it can be verify who's video was posted and who the reward is being sent to.

6) Contestants would likely need to procure themselves the game (maybe check the moriya shrine main site?)

7) Git Gud, jokingly of course. But all contestants will be facing the same challenge, the main measure of success here is going to be perseverance. As said above the contest can be adjusted on the next run. 

As for concern of the game chosen, it was a vote given to the Moriya Shrine community so... we dug our own grave if it's too difficult.

I apologize if this comes across argumentative, but it is the way I see these points of contention being resolved.

W2HhOfH.pngThe ケロ happened here?

6 hours ago, gervin51 said:

The whole thing is a good idea, but going for Touhou 15 was a bit much. Also, I thought of many problems as best as I could on TH15.

List of problems or questions that might affect the player:

1. Hard mode (Especially using on Legacy Mode) might be a bit much for the players.
2. We don't know what mode we should use. Point Device or Legacy Mode?
3. If we play on Hard and manage to lose all our lives, do we still have to post our replays (Best run even if it's outdated)?
4. Livestreams can also be proof for the player. Right? (In case of players forgot to save their replays)
5. If the player's name was different on Discord, should they change their nickname in order to qualify?
6. What if they don't have the game itself? Would you provide them the game?
7. Junko is OP! I don't want players to get triggered at this game. Especially on the Hard Diff.

Mostly what Ceje said, but I'll add a couple things.

LoLK was the one game on the list that I haven't played, so after talking about it with someone who has, I think we'll stick to Legacy Mode.  I'll add this to the OP as well.

Regarding your stream question, I think it would be more fair if we only accepted runs made for the contest, but that doesn't mean you can't stream it.  Just make sure you record it/save the replay to share here.  Just having the stream happen and some else say they saw it can lead to a finicky mess that I'm sure none of us want to risk.

We briefly considered having a vote on the difficulty as well, but the mods talked about it and due to 1) Lunatic being somewhat alienating, and 2) Normal making it so that the few Lunatic level players would have it too easy, that Hard was the best difficulty for this sort of contest.

Also, if you can, those that have submitted their entries. 

Please enter your discord tag in your profile as well. 

Easily deploy an SSD cloud server on DigitalOcean in 55 seconds. Sign up using my link below and receive $10 in credit.

Deploy with DO!  \o/

You can also resubmit your entry if you'd like. Bear in mind, though, that it will overwrite your previous one. 

Easily deploy an SSD cloud server on DigitalOcean in 55 seconds. Sign up using my link below and receive $10 in credit.

Deploy with DO!  \o/