There are spirits everywhere. Normal spirits would be of no concern, but those sighted of late have been different from the usual types. Uncertain what to make of the situation, our girls are off once again to seek answers.
Unique Gameplay Mechanics
Focus-Based Shot Types
* In this game, our girls came prepared - the reason there isn't a shot type select for any of them this time around is because they brought everything they've got.
* 2 shot types are active at all times. One weaker one is always used whether you're focused or not (for example, Reimu's non-homing amulets). Your strong shot switches depending on whether you're Focused or not (for example, Reimu's homing amulets while unfocused, and her Evil-Sealing Needles while focused).
* All shot types gain power together, so there's no need to worry about whether you're Focusing when you collect Power items.
* Along with Power and Point items are little translucent orbs that sit in place when they spawn, which are the Divine Spirits in question. Each serves their own function.
-> Blue Spirits add to your point value and Trance Gauge (more about that below).
-> Pink Spirits are this game's life pieces; collect enough and you earn an Extend. Each subsequent life requires you to collect more Pink Spirits than the previous one, starting at 8.
-> Green Spirits are this game's bomb pieces; collect 8 to earn a Bomb (Spell Card).
-> Gray Spirits appear only when you defeat a lot of enemies in a row, or die. Their main purpose is to add to your Trance Gauge, but they also act like gold-bordered Point items that are worth max points no matter where on the screen you collect them.
-> Bosses also drop spirits between phases along with the usual Power/Point item batch. In addition, they also gradually drop Blue Spirits at all times - slowly if you're far away, ridiculously fast if you're right next to them. (This is a technique called "boss grazing," and is popular for use in score runs.)
* In the lower-left corner of the screen, you can see the Trance Gauge, which starts the game at one full flame, and goes up to a maximum of 3.
* If the gauge is full, you can manually enter Trance anytime by hitting the [Trance] button.
You'll also automatically enter Trance whenever you die (as in, you must fail to deathbomb).
* Interestingly enough, you can also deathtrance, which, as the name may imply, involves hitting [Trance] right after getting hit to enter a trance manually and avoid losing a life. The timing is very strict, however.
* The amount of time you spend in Trance depends on the charge you had on the gauge, up to 10 full seconds for 3 full flames.
* Trance makes you completely invulnerable and makes you very powerful for those precious few seconds you get.
* Regardless of how you entered Trance, the gauge will be totally empty afterward.
* Youmu functions differently from the other girls. When she Focuses, instead of switching to another shot type, she stops firing to ready herself to draw her swords. Simply let go of the Focus button after charging to unleash a slash combo.
* Youmu's sword-slash combo starts at 3 slashes, and gains 1 extra slash per power level (so at the max of 4.0 power, she slashes a total of 6 times).
* This scorefile was provided by Dark Kijin.
* It has 100% Spell Card availability in Spell Card Practice, which includes Overdrive cards.
* It unlocks the Extra stage for everyone, but it's only cleared with Reimu. (So 100% availability, but not clearance.)
* The game is cleared on Normal as all characters, and on Easy as Reimu and Youmu, but everything else is missing.
-> You can help get this scorefile to 100%! If you have a scorefile which improves upon the progress in this existing file, please submit it to us!