About This File
Playable Characters: 1 (Reimu)
Shot Types: 1
(All your shots can do is change the trajectory of the Yin-Yang Orb and absorb bullets; they can't damage enemies or flip tiles.)
The strength of the seal that keeps demons and other evil creatures from entering Gensokyo via the Hakurei Shrine, which also serves as an entrance to the "outside world" as you and I know it - has been diminishing. Reimu decides to go in of her own volition to see whether the cause is in there, and needs beaten up. (It does.)
Unique Gameplay Mechanics
* The screen never scrolls; this is built in the style of breakout games such as "Arkanoid," featuring a large Yin-Yang Orb that Reimu hits around the screen with her techniques. The Yin-Yang Orb and Bombs (under specific situations) are the only things that can damage enemies. However, you can also be crushed by the orb if you let Reimu get hit by it.
* Reimu will fire her shot upwards when you hit Z. This shot cannot damage enemies, but it can erase a bullet it hits and change the Yin-Yang Orb's movement when it connects.
* She can also use her gohei for similar, more direct purposes when you hit X while standing still. She will swing her gohei back and forth once, her first swing being stronger than her second (her second swing can't deflect bullets either).
* Combining movement, Z and X can make her do various other tricks, like a Slide Kick (moving + X), a Flip Kick (Slide + X at the end without pressing left or right (or pressing the opposite direction)), and a Shot Barrage (Slide + Z at the end).
* Even the earliest game had a Bomb system, despite how different it is than the rest. You start the game with a single bomb, the amount can't be changed. You can only receive a bomb if Reimu gets hit, but regular tiles can give you a bomb too if you're lucky. To use a bomb, press left, right and Z at the same time, or Z and X twice. Bombs will hit most, if not all, onscreen tiles once, and if the orb comes into contact with Reimu while it is active, the orb will be launched instead. Bombs can only damage bosses if you have no lives left.
* Since there are no unlocks in HRtP, this scorefile is basically here exclusively for formality's sake.